In order to move the natural gas that is abundant in the United States, we need pipelines. The recent boom is natural gas has ignited construction of new pipelines all over America, especially in the Northeast.
New U.S. pipeline projects in the Marcellus Shale are expected to increase accessibility of reserves of natural gas at the end of 2012 and into 2013.
An estimated $3 billion worth of new pipelines connecting to the Marcellus could unlock the equivalent of 5 percent of daily natural gas supply in the last months of this year and in 2013.
About 10 projects coming online in the next three months alone will add an extra 3 billion cubic feet per day (bcfd) of pipeline capacity, and 5 bcfd of projects are in the works for 2013.
More than 1,000 drilled wells are waiting to be hooked up to pipelines in the Marcellus.
According to statistics from the National Transportation Safety Board, natural gas pipelines are the most cost-efficient and safe mode of energy transportation today—surpassing highway, railroad, airborne or waterborne transport.
Reuters recently compiled a list of pipeline projects expected to be online at the end of 2012 and in 2013 (Information includes the pipeline project, operator capacity (million cubic feet per day), the state, and the startup date).
- Inergy Marc 1 Hub Line Inergy Midstream 555 PA Nov 2012
- Ellisburg to Craigs Dominion Transmission 150 PA Nov 2012
- TETCO Team 2012 Texas Eastern 200 PA Late 2012
- Northeast Supply Diversifica-tion Project Tennessee Gas Pipeline 250 PA/NY Nov 2012
- Station 230C Project Tennessee Gas Pipeline 320 PA/NY Nov 2012
- Line N Expansion National Fuel Gas Supply Corp 150 PA Nov 2012
- Northeast Expansion Project Dominion Transmission 200 PA Nov 2012
- Northern Access Expansion Project National Fuel Gas Supply Corp 320 PA/NY Late autumn 2012
- Marcellus Expansion Phase Equitrans 800 WV/PA Late 2012
- Northeast Williams 100 PA/NJ Late 2012
- MPP Pipeline Tennessee Gas Pipeline 100 PA 2013
- Northeast Supply Transcontin-ental Gas 250 PA 2013
- NJ-NY Project Spectra Energy 800 NJ/NY 2013
- Sabinsville to Morrisville Dominion Transmission 92 PA 2013
- TETCO Team 2013 Expansion Texas Eastern 500 PA 2013
- Tioga Area Expansion Dominion Transmission 270 PA 2013
- New Jersey to New York Expansion Texas Eastern 800 NJ/NY 2013
- Dominion Keystone Pipeline Dominion Transmission 500 PA 2013
- Northeast Supply Link Transcontin-ental Gas 250 PA/NJ/NY 2013
- Northeast Passage Kinder Morgan/Equitable 1,100 OH/NY 2013
- Northeast Upgrade Tennessee Gas Pipeline 636 PA/NJ 2013