ShaleNET has received a $14.9 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor to expand the program.
This will help workers in five states – including Pennsylvania – gain the credentials they need to secure employment in energy-related jobs.
ShaleNET started in 2010 with a $4.9 million grant from the Department of Labor to establish a training program for people interested in working in the natural gas industry. The program brought together energy companies, community colleges, and workforce investment boards. Westmoreland County Community College is one of the leads on the program. Visit the ShaleNET website here.
When other industries are lagging behind in job creation, the natural gas industry and other energy sectors are expected to take job growth to a level not seen in a long while. A recent workforce development study looking at Southwestern Pennsylvania’s energy sector found coalitions like ShaleNET will be key to securing the talent needed in the industry. It also identified 14 critical, difficult-to-fill jobs for which nearly 2,000 hires are forecasted between now and 2020. Details from the online jobs survey and complete job profiles for each of the 14 Target Jobs are available in the full report here.
Through the new ShaleNET US program, four hub colleges will develop standardized curriculum for five widely employed occupations:
- Process technicians
- Petroleum technicians
- Industrial maintenance technicians
- Field automation technicians
- Pipeline/distribution operators
Industrial maintenance technicians are also among the 14 “Target Jobs” – and are the highest-demand jobs identified in the workforce analysis.
For information on any of the ShaleNET approved training providers listed below, click here.
ShaleNET Approved Training Providers:
- Broome County Community College (NY)
- Butler County Community College (PA)
- Community College of Allegheny County (PA)
- Community College of Beaver County (PA)
- Eastern Gateway Community College (OH)
- Greater Johnstown Career & Technology Center (PA)
- Harrisburg Area Community College (PA)
- Lehigh Career & Technical Institute (PA)
- Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania (PA)
- Lorain County Community College (OH)
- Pennsylvania College of Technology (PA)
- Pierpont Community & Technical College (WV)
- Seneca Highlands Career and Technical Center (PA)
- Somerset County Technical Center (PA)
- Stanley Technical Institute (WV)
- Stark State (OH)
- Sun Area Technical Institute (PA)
- Susquehanna County Career and Technical Center, (PA)
- West Virginia Northern Community College (WV)
- Westmoreland County Community College (PA)